Our PurposeAMVETS has been proudly serving American veterans for more than half a century. Founded by World War II veterans, the organization has grown to where, today, its membership enrolls veterans from all areas, Anyone who has honorably served in the United States Armed Forces after Sept. 15, 1940, to include those on active duty as well as in the Reserve Components. The purpose and goals of AMVETS, as spelled out in the organization's 1947 congressional charter, still ring true today. Among these aims are:
- To preserve for ourselves and our posterity the great and basic truths and enduring principles upon which this nation was founded.
- To maintain a continuing interest in the welfare and rehabilitation of disabled veterans and to establish facilities for the assistance of all veterans, to represent them in their claims before VA and other organizations.
- To dedicate ourselves to the service and best interests of the community, state and nation to the end that our country shall be and remain forever a strong and free nation.
- To encourage universal exercise of the voting franchise to the end that there shall be elected and maintained in public office men and women who hold such office as a public trust administered in the best interests of all people.
- To advocate the development and means by which all Americans may become enlightened and informed citizens and this participate fully in the functions of democracy.